Monday, December 20, 2010

Kill Indiana Jones?????


Let's face it most people were not pleased with the last Indiana Jones film. Call it too much meddling by George Lucas, call it the alien tact, call it Shia LaBeouf in a pompadour. Whatever the case, for most people Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull left a bad taste in their mouths. Personally I've come to like it even though I wasn't pleased the first time I watched it.
Yet despite all the criticism the movie was the third highest grossing film of 2008 right behind The Dark Knight and Iron Man, and everybody knows that in Hollywood the green always talks. Therefore it is not surprising that a fifth (and presumably final) installment of the Indiana Jones franchise is the works. As to what the movie will be based around no one really knows although the story is being developed.
However, a new development has been brought to light. The movie gossip site ShowbizSpy is reporting that Harrison Ford is pushing for the iconic character to be killed off in the next film.
Say what? Kill Indy?? Surely this is a joke.
Yet the more I thought about it the more I think it might make sense. It would be nice to see Indy go out in a blaze of glory unlike say Captain Kirk did in Star Trek Generations. I could definitely see it being a situation where Indy sacrifices himself to save someone. And after all Harrison Ford is so old at this point he helped build the Temple of Doom. However, a part of me still balks at the idea of killing Indiana Jones. I mean come on it's freakin' Indiana Jones!
While Ford is pushing for it Spielberg is said to be on the fence and (surprise!) Lucas is completely against it. In the end I don't think it will happen. Harrison Ford didn't get his way when he wanted to kill off Han Solo at the end of Return of the Jedi and its not going to happen here. Fear not fans of Indy, this talk of killing off Indiana Jones is just that: talk.
Unless of course Spielberg has Indy die of natural causes on screen which considering Ford's age is entirely possible.

1 comment:

  1. As reported by ShowBizSpy? I didn't know that was my name now lol

    ReplyDelete