Monday, June 14, 2010

Rumor Roundup! Indiana Jones 5 and the next Batman





2008 saw the release of films from two of the biggest franchises ever: Indiana Jones and Batman. While both Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and The Dark Knight were enormous financial hits, reviews were mixed...at least when it came to Indiana Jones anyway. I'll freely admit the first time I saw Skull I was far from impressed. Since then however, I've come around on it and aside from a few things (i.e. Mutt Williams swinging through the jungle with monkeys) I'm ok with it. I was always ok with The Dark Knight. If Christopher Nolan's masterpiece had come out one year later I guarantee it would have been nominated for best picture, what with the addition of five extra film nominees at the Oscars. Anyhow, with one of the weakest movie summers in recent memory going on right now, it really got me thinking about summer 2012. Star Trek 2, The Avengers, Men In Black 3, Batman 3, and possibly Indy 5 are set to come out that summer. As such I thought I'd do a little rumor commentary on the potential upcoming sequels for the globetrotting archaeologist and the Caped Crusader. First let's focus on the man in the cape and cowl first. (In case you are wondering that is a fan created poster...still looks pretty awesome though doesn't it?!) The good news is that a third Batman movie has been greenlit and will be helmed once again by director Christopher Nolan. (He's currently putting the final touches on Inception, set to come out next month. Definitely looking forward to that one.) It's set to release in July of 2012 and Nolan has confirmed that The Joker WILL NOT be in the next film. Nolan had originally intended for The Joker character to return for the third film, but with the death of Heath Ledger Nolan's plans have changed. Personally I think it is a great move on Nolan's part not to recast The Joker. Ledger's performance was so amazing and any actor who took the role would just be compared to him constantly. As for the villain no one is a 100% certain, however the consensus all seems to be pointing toward The Riddler. I know some people hated the villain but I for one loved The Riddler. I thought Jim Carrey's performance was fantastic in Batman Forever and even Frank Gorshin on the 60s television show was pretty good. Having said that I can't wait to see what dark turn Nolan might have on The Riddler. I love that Batman became so dark and gritty over the last couple movies and really went back to the mythology of the character. So far the biggest rumor to date on the casting of The Riddler is Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Although many may remember him as the guy who played Tommy on the vastly underrated 90s sitcom 3rd Rock from the Sun, Levitt has really branched out in recent years with such films like Mysterious Skin, 500 Days of Summer, Stop-Loss and as mentioned previously, next month's Inception. Personally I think this would be a fantastic pick. As for the man with the fedora, leather jacket, and whip...well Indiana Jones's future I think is somewhat less certain. It's been confirmed by Harrison Ford and Shia Labeouf that the principals (i.e Spielberg, Ford, and Lucas) have all agreed on a new idea and that George Lucas is supposedly developing it now. As to what the new adventure would be? Hard to say. Most of us hope it won't be about aliens. As recently as last week a website out of New Zealand was reporting that Indy's next adventure would involve the Bermuda triangle. However, it was reported today from the studio that the rumor is completely false. I'm kind of happy about that because frankly I can't think of what Indy would go after in the Bermuda Triangle. My sincere hope is that Indy's next adventure will involve a rumor I've been hearing about for over a year. Apparently there is a rumor that Indy's next (and final) adventure will involve the cross of Jesus Christ which was carried into battle during the Crusades and also lost during the same period in history. Reports have Indy starting off the movie looking for the tomb of Genghis Khan and then getting kidnapped by the Chinese who want the cross as well. Rumored sites in the movie involve England, Jerusalem, Mongolia, and Germany. Personally I think this plot sounds amazing. Mongolia AND Jerusalem? We can bring back Salah and Short Round! Sweet! Unfortunately until we have something more concrete everything I've mentioned are just rumors. Here's hoping that these rumors become reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment