Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Sweet Swing Sails Into the Sunset

Recently I was reminded of the cruel fact that I'm getting older. No it wasn't the gray that keeps multiplying in my hair, something my wife points out at every opportunity, rather it was the retirement of one of the great MLB players of my childhood, Ken Griffey Jr. Although I'm a Yankees fan through and through, I've always respected his game. To put it more appropriately, I was in awe of his talent. I remember back in the early 90s when he tied a record by hitting a HR in 8 straight games. Griffey Jr. had the sweetest swing I ever saw; so smooth it made a Starbucks frappuccino look like a mug full of glass. In an era dominated by steroid scandals, the proverbial HGH laced syringe never touched him. He is a player that in 22 seasons hit 630 HR, drove in over 1800 RBI, compiled almost 2800 hits, a lifetime on base percentage of 370, and a slugging percentage of 538. Griffey was selected as an All-Star 13 times, 11 straight at one point, and won the 1997 AL MVP. It's amazing to think how much better his stats could have been if he had not been hampered by injuries from 2001 to 2004. As equally as impressive was his defense. Not since Willie Mays has a player made defense look so effortless. Couple that with a cannon arm and it makes his ten Golden Gloves look like an afterthought. In a time when Golden Gloves seem worthless (they are) I can honestly say that Griffey earned every one of his. I would be remiss if I didn't mention his class off the field as well. Although occasionally referred to as Ken "Grumpy" Jr, he was typically receptive and cordial to reporters, appreciative of his fans, and involved in community work. In 2008 he released a series of charity wines for The Ken Griffey Jr. Family Foundation which supports The Boys and Girls Club of America and various children's hospitals. Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice also named Griffey as an American Public Diplomacy Envoy in November of 2008. When so many players and coaches today possess an air of entitlement and arrogance about them (I'm talking to you A-Rod and Phil Jackson), Griffey Jr. stood apart from the crowd. It's a travesty that he never got to play in a World Series. The great ones know when it's time to walk away too. After "Nap Gate" and Griffey's horrible average this year, Griffey Jr. made the smart decision to walk away from the game. I'll carry away some great memories of Ken Griffey Jr. such as watching him hit back to back HR with his father or his 50th HR in 1997. I even (sigh) have to appreciate the pure joy on his face when he scored the winning run in game five of the 1995 Wildcard playoffs to beat my Yankees. I truly hope that Griffey stays attached to baseball in some form, whether it be as a coach, manager, or commentator. (He's gotta be better than Steve Philips or Doug Drabek.) Farewell Ken Griffey Jr. You'll be sorely missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment