Monday, November 22, 2010

Time to put on the tights! The Next Superman!


Although the buzz of late has revolved around Christopher Nolan's impending third Batman film The Dark Knight Rises, lost in the shuffle is another DC superhero who is getting a reboot. That's right the man of steel will be flying his way back into theaters in late 2012 with filming set to begin in June of next year. (Incidentally if you're counting that makes four major superhero movies coming out in 2012: The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, Spiderman, and Man of Steel.)
After the forgettable 2006 Superman Returns, which was nothing more than a fellatio fest of the original, the Hollywood hotshots are hoping to give the Last Son of Krypton a Kryptonite kick in the pants. With Christopher Nolan producing, David S. Goyer writing, and Zack Snyder of 300 and Watchmen directing I have high hopes for this film. The fact that the villain is going to be General Zod and not Lex Luthor is an added bonus. Luthor has been done to death.
Unfortunately at this moment in time Nolan, Goyer, and Snyder have no one to fill the Kryptonian's blue and red tights. Apparently they want to cast an unknown (like Brandon Routh or Christopher Reeve were) or someone from a current television series. Several actors have come to the forefront and I thought it appropriate to put my two cents in regarding who I think should be the next to go up up and away.
The latest suggestion (literally today) has been Matthew Goode who played Ozymandias in Snyder's Watchmen. While Goode would make a good Clark Kent and the duality he portrayed as Ozymandias would come in well here, I just don't see it happening. He seems too thin and too old. Despite Snyder's previous connections with him I doubt it will happen.
Mad Men's Jon Hamm has been another suggestion. This one I think is not only the most unlikely but probably the most ridiculous. The guy is too old for the role at 39 and while I loved him in The Town I just don't see him leaping tall buildings in a single bound.
Actor Armie Hammer, who gained acclaim in the recent movie The Social Network, is one of the latest names being tossed around. A fresh new face, he's certainly a guy Warner Brothers could get behind, but at 24 he might be too young for the role. Plus the blond hair is kind of a deal breaker. Even if he did dye it...eh I don't see it.
Vampires have been all the rage lately (btw congratulations Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart on your recent marriage! Oh wait no I don't care because both of you are tools) and it's not surprising that The Vampire Diaries's Ian Somerhalder is being considered for the role. Please God no. I don't need another emo brooding tool taking on the biggest superhero in history.
Which brings me to the last suggested name and the person I'd like to see take the role of Superman. His name is Joe Manganiello of HBO's True Blood. Not only does he look the part but he can act as well. His turn as Alcide Herveaux on HBO's hit vampire drama was excellent and I can definitely see Manganiello bringing a gravitas, maybe even a gritty side to the role.
However my gut feeling is telling me that none of these actors will be cast. I get the strong feeling that it is going to be a virtual unknown. It makes sense anyway. Andrew Garfield of The Social Network was basically an unknown when he was picked as Peter Parker/Spiderman for the Spiderman reboot. I think it could work here as well. We'll know soon enough.
I just hope the "smart guys" in Hollywood don't go all Bizarro and pick someone crazy like Tracy Morgan.

No comments:

Post a Comment