Monday, April 11, 2011

KNEEL BEFORE MICHAEL SHANNON!!!



To those of you hoping that Viggo Mortensen might step into the role of General Zod in Zack Synder's upcoming Superman reboot, I'm afraid that your hopes have killed by kryptonite.

The part of one of Superman's oldest enemies has gone to Oscar nominee (Revolutionary Road) Michael Shannon. The casual moviegoer probably has no idea who Michael Shannon is, but I'm here to tell you that he is one of the most underrated actors working today. Anyone out there who hasn't seen Shannon as Nelson Van Alden in HBO's Boardwalk Empire is doing themselves a huge disservice. His small part in director Sidney Lumet's last film (who sadly passed away this past week at the age of 86) Before the Devil Knows You're Dead is riveting.

The 36 year old Shannon can project a sense of malice very rare among actors, a trait vital for the role of General Zod. Having said that I don't think I like the choice. I have little doubt that Shannon possesses the acting ability to pull off the role but physically I just don't see him as Zod. I'm probably biased because I wanted Mortenson and because I will definitely be comparing him to Terrance Stamp's performance in Superman II. I'm hoping I'm wrong though and that Shannon crushes it. What with Amy Adams, Diane Lane, and Kevin Costner all now part of the cast, the new Superman is shaping up to be an excellent movie.

One other note to mention is that the movie is now OFFICIALLY called Man of Steel. What with the success of the title The Dark Knight for co-DC universe hero Batman, I believe the title is fitting. Man of Steel heat visions its way into theaters December 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment