Saturday, April 23, 2011

Nolan Batarangs Gordon-Levitt and Cotillard's TDKR roles our way

















Director Christopher Nolan doles out details about The Dark Knight Rises like Ebeneezer Scrooge doles out money, which is to say not very much. However he did release some interesting tidbits this week; namely the much discussed roles of Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Marion Cotillard's.

Oscar winner Cotillard (La Vie en Rose) will be playing Miranda Tate a Wayne Enterprises executive who helps Bruce Wayne cope with his grief and resume the philanthropic duties of his father. Meanwhile Gordon-Levitt will be playing John Blake a Gotham City police officer assigned to a special duty under Commissioner James Gordon (Gary Oldman). It's important to note that neither of these characters appear anywhere in the Batman universe.

Now here are my thoughts on these roles. I believe Gordon-Levitt will make an excellent cop. I can definitely see him as a guy who is very anti-Batman but then comes around towards the end of the film. On the other hand I believe that Nolan is pulling an okey-doke when it comes to Cotillard's role. While I believe that the role Warner Bros. has presented is accurate, I also believe there is something more. For one Cotillard is too good of an actress to be used solely in a supporting role. Second of all, I already reported that Ra's Al Ghul and the League of Shadows are going to play a role in the third film. My guess (and this is just speculation) is that Cotillard's Tate is actually going to be Talia Al Ghul, Ra's Al Ghul's daughter.

Then again Nolan has faked me out so many times that I'm starting to feel like a linebacker trying to tackle Barry Sanders. The Dark Knight Rises swoops into theaters July 20, 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment